According to the U.S census bureau, there are six factors that influence family integration and children’s prospects for future success.
1. Child is not living with two parents
2. Child is living with parent not having a steady income
3. Family income is below poverty line
4. Head of household is a high school drop out
5. Child does not have health insurance
6. Family is receiving welfare benefits
It is estimated there are over 40,000 children in central Ohio that have four or more of these risk factors. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio is currently serving 5.7 percent of these children in Franklin, Delaware and Union Counties.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentoring is viewed as a response that can help young people overcome the barriers they face when confronted with these factors. Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is the world’s largest and most effective system of one to one youth mentoring. Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies have continuously demonstrated the effectiveness of their programs. An independent study found that youth matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister are:
1. 46 percent less likely to start using drugs
2. 52 percent less likely to skip school
3. 64 percent showed more confidence in their ability to perform their schoolwork
In addition, a recent study found that Big Brothers Big Sisters' School-Based Mentoring programs make a real difference in the lives of schoolchildren.